NiMH Battery - Discharge profile - Honda Insight module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transformedmaggot

Automotive
Jun 8, 2018
US
Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on the Honda Insight cylindrical modules 101V NiMH, trying to recondition and just experimenting with them.
Nominal cell voltage = 1.2V

I came across a discharge profile that I'm not at all familiar with. Running the module at 3.25 Amps to a target voltage of 6 volts (shut-off voltage). The thing that confuses me the most is for the battery with the black discharge line, I see a horizontal line for about 38 minutes, while the rest follow a conventional discharge curve. After the 38 minute mark it follows a conventional discharge curve.

Furthermore, each line corresponds to one battery being discharged (containing 6 cells each).

My question is - What is the theory behind this? And why did it lag? Does that mean in any particular way that this module is a bad/good one? What can we interpret from this?

Much appreciated, thank you!
Capture_dqyauq.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While discharging used NiMH Honda batteries using a software plugged on. Further information: These batteries have been sitting around for a while, probably about 2 years.

So each of these is really a battery pack, many cells with some embedded electronics?
Have you recharged these and re-run the discharge curves?
I am guessing that the black one has some electronic control features that the others lack.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Did you re-run the test? It looks like the load just wasn't applied for most of the test. Since it died more quickly from the time the load looks like it was applied and looks like it rebounded to a higher voltage it would seem to have some other defect as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back