Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nitric, sulfuric and Hydrochloric mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMetals

Materials
Aug 22, 2014
US
If a there were an acid mixture containing( Nitric, Sulfuric and Hydrochloric) what would the corrosion behavior of the mix be? Oxidizing? Reducing? I don't have any concentrations yet. The obvious thing would be that the acid with the biggest presence would take precedence over the others, is this off base? Would an alloys corrosion resistance to one be affected by the presence of the other acids?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The acid mixture would be oxidizing. Aqua regia is a common solution and contains both nitric acid and hydrochloric acid, you could look to it for direction.

Any acid sufficiently strong to protonate nitric acid will generate nitrosyl chloride, nitrogen oxide and ultimately nitrogen dioxide. Both HCl and sulphuric acid are strong enough to protonate nitric acid if I recall correctly, but HCl definitely does, as this is the reason aqua regia is so nasty. The presence of NO/NO2 will make the solution strongly oxidizing.

Concentration is critical.
If it is highly concentrated then there are some option, if not........
What kind of equipment are we talking about?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

No aqua regia does not contain sulfuric acid. Since you provided no specific information, I provided an example that is used widely and will have similar behavior. Good luck on your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back