Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nitrogen as a backing gas for welding stainless steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

aclarke

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2003
GB
Does anyone have any experience of using Nitrogen as a backing gas for the welding of stainless steel - in particular duplex grade 1.4362 to EN10088 (ASTM S32304)?

The torch shielding gas will remain as Argon/2% Nitrogen. The steel is in sheet form 1.0mm thick butt welded using ASTM S32205 filler wire.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi aclarke
Although I haven't used it for welding duplex grades of SS I have used it on a number of occasions for back purging of 304 & 316 grades of SS with great success. I would even go so far as to say that the finished appearance of the welds looks better than when using Argon purging.

For reference, nitrogen is permitted for use as a backing gas (only) in the welding of CRES steels per Paragraph 5.3.5.6 of MIL-STD-2219 FUSION WELDING FOR AEROSPACE APPLICATIONS. The nitrogen should meet Federal spec. BB-N-411.
[Note: this document was cancelled as of 10 Sept. 1999]

I've used it successfully as a backing gas for both austenitic and duplex stainless materials, but you should be aware that the austenite - ferrite percentages may change since nitrogen will increase the amount of the austenite phase. If you have limits on on the pahse percentages, you'll have to do a metallographic evaluation of the weld deposit from your PQR to tell whether or not it works for you.

Matt Nousak, P.E.
Senior Staff Engineer
Middough Associates Inc.
nousakmj@middough.com

We have had experience of pipe fabrication companies getting their ferrite/austenite ratio correct in the root pass when welding duplex stainless by modifying the amount of nitrogen in the purge gas.
MOB1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back