Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nitrogen Blanketing a Reactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeblz

Chemical
Aug 25, 2014
US
Hi everyone,
I found a good paper that describes nitrogen blanketing and shows various calculations. I am of the idea that these calculations are suited for storage tanks. Heres the link to the paper.

Do you know of any papers or formulas that apply to nitrogen blanketing in reactors. I need to take into consideration opening and closing of addition valves that are open to air/atmosphere. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you need to post a sketch with operating/design parameters and with a clear description of what the blanketing system is supposed to achieve. Otherwise we are just guessing here.

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

It is the same concept for reactors. Many reactors are also closed to the atmosphere to prevent or minimize air emissions.

If the RX manways are opened and closed to introduce solids or such, no inerting system is going to guarantee a non-flammable atmosphere without a pressure test for tightness and going through a controlled purge.

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back