Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No idea of Civil engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilburfhh

Mechanical
May 3, 2006
US
I am a mechanical engineer, doing a take off of some strcutural steel drawings and concrete, forms. Are there any manuals, websites or books on how to do a take off or at least how to get an idea on civil stuffs for non-civil guys.

Thanks. Will

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best way to do takeoff is to do it the way that the person who will be pricing the work wants it done. Ask.

However you do it today, make sure that you can understand (and even duplicate) what you did next week, next month, next year. Reference plan sheet numbers and detail numbers. Label all dimensions on you takeoff sheets. Be organized. Be able to explain your take off to others.

PEinc is giving good advice.

As you go through the plans, you may find it helpful to check or mark things with a color pencil as you add things up. That way, you can keep track of items you have tallied.

BelspringKen,

I agree. I was going to suggest that but thought others would think it was childish. I always colored or marked off what I had already taken-off so that I wouldn't count it twice (and so I could feel like I was making progress). I also used different colors for different types of work.

If this is something you will be doing regularly, consider taking a course in civil engineering construction estimating/cost engineering/quantity surveying.

I had estimating classes in college. Somewhere along the way I learned to make a mark with a color pencil on items I had added up in my takeoff.
Different colors for different categories of items could be useful.

You may find the Means estimating books useful in your cost estimates.

Hi Will!

The best advice I can give is, let shoes to be done by shoemakers!
Hire civil guy, it may save you a lot of money at the end.
I am civil engineer, I will never try to the work of mechanical unless I do not have choise!

Tal

Since the original post was "No idea of Civil Engineering" , I am surprised no one has replied "become a project manager in civilengineering"

Flow Calculations

What is the necessary formula for determining the flow rate in a pipe flowing less than full while taking into account the slope of the pipe.

Engcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back