Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NO more PLC - looking for "C++" prog. controller! Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

peete

Electrical
Jan 26, 2000
US
I have used PLC logic for control on all of my designs. Now I am looking for a C++ programmable controller for discrete I/O,& analog I/O control. I Also need serial communications capability. My company has given me a budget to &quot;get up to speed&quot; with C++ programming. It has been several years since I've programmed with C++. Does anyone know of an affordable (less than A-B Micrologix 1500 $) c-programmable controller and a good source for learning to write C source code for machine control. any advice would be appreciated. thanks. <br>
<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Peete,<br><br>You may want to look into Microchip's latest series, the PIC18C chips.&nbsp;&nbsp;They have a C compiler, but I don't think it handles C++.&nbsp;&nbsp;The guys at Microchip could probably help you out: 1-800437-2767<br><br>Digi-Key sells these chips for about $10-$20 depending on package style and quantity purchased.

AB makes their open controller 1747-OCE that I believe also handles this and fits in a SLC chassis. I don't know what they cost.

I'm not sure about the rationale in going for C++ with programmable logic controllers - could be the same reason why there are not many PLC's that support C++ programs.<br><br>Though C++ improves reusability and ease of maintenance, C++ compilers need to become more smarter to give code that's as efficient and compact as C compilers. I'm aware many compiler manufacturers have made breakthroughs in this aspect, but they need to undergo lot more performance tests and validations and shold be more readily available.<br><br> <p>Narayanan UM<br><a href=mailto:umn@ieee.org>umn@ieee.org</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back