Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no runout correction procedure on modern wheel alignment equipment. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoose

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2003
US
I looked at a few online manuals for wheel alignment equipment from the 70s and newer.

Bear here - clamp and go.

This 1970s SnapOn manual just says attach the gage to the cleaned, machined wheel hub face.

This Windows 95 vintage Snap on aligner has runout detection on page 57, but it says "(.75°-1.5°)" is "not enough to influence the alignment results." But on a 185-75-14 inch tire 1/8 inch toe-in at the tread is less than 0.5 degrees.
Tru-Line has a runout correction procedure - page 13 here

I think using wheel features, especially steel wheel, or (gasp) tire features without establishing a true rotating CL brings potential errors greater than a typical toe-in tolerance whether done on an alignment rack or in my driveway.

Dan T

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agreed.. I would probably rotate the wheel 180 reattach the "tool", and look for it to agree with the prior location..
Your post reminded me of an occasion years ago.
I'd taken a friend to pick up his car at a shop and look at some things while it was on a lift.. In the next bay a car was receiving a
"state of the art" four wheel alignment. I noticed the laser was contacting a weight on one side of a nice, true looking, turned aluminum back wheel.
I could see a near 0.1" gap where it should have been touching the
wheel. This equipment was no doubt fool proof.
One of many experiences that makes taking a car to a shop difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back