Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Subscription = No Service Packs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bri011

Electrical
Sep 11, 2006
US
I went from a large company with 13 seats of SW and annual subscriptions (or maintenance contracts--whatever you call it) to a small company with one seat of SW and no subscription contract. I can't download SP1.0. Am I understanding this correctly--I don't get service packs unless I'm on subscription?

If so, that's crap. Service packs are mostly FIXES--and why shouldn't I get a fix if the software is defective?

I understand that I wouldn't get major upgrades, but I should get service packs. If this really is the case, then I'll complain to my VAR (and get nowhere, but still complain).

Thanks,

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well there's the rub Scott, this isn't really a topic for an ER. It is SWs company policy that 'needs' to be enhanced, not the software.

It is only through public discussions like this, where a groundswell of opinion can apply enough pressure to shame/force a company into changing its policies.
While I'm not sure if SW monitors this forum, it definitely does at so posting your thoughts there might help.

For those who believe that all SPs should be included with the 'purchase' of the license to use SW (with or without subscription support) then lobby SW direct via email at info@solidworks.com and let them know.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

I agree CBL. The only way to change the policy is to voice your opinion. I voiced my opinion at my blog and refrenced this thread. I also asked for SolidWorks to comment. I have had some people comment on he blog posting but none of the comments are from SoldiWorks.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 8/12/06)
SW 2006 SP 4.0 / SW 2007 SP 0.0

Don't you have to be on subscription to post a ER? [lol]

Most likely this policy won't change unless Solidworks feels they are losing sales because of it. I think most customers buy the subscription but I can see a point in the future when there's not much left to add to the software (like Autocad now), that people may start to feel there's no real need to upgrade each release......and thus drop subscription. If that starts happening on a regular basis, I see them either offering some stuff in subscription free to the public....or dropping the subscription fees to keep poeple on it.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back