Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No tension interface elements between soil and foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

UWOVenky

Geotechnical
Apr 21, 2015
CA
I want to create no tension elements between soil and foundation. To do this, I have created a thin circular layer of 0.01 m and assigned it the linear elastic properties of soil (for no tension, plastic propertes like mohr-coulomb model cannot be used). I also toggled on "No Tension" option in the material property. There are 2 contact interaction happening here One is between soil(slave) and no tension interface(master), the second one is between foundation(master) and no tension interface(slave). Two interaction have been specified correspondingly. For contact between soil and interface, tangential behaviour is rough and normal behaviour is hard, penalty. For contact between foundation and interface, tangential behaviour is penalty with friction coefficient of 0.377 and normal behaviour is hard, penalty. During the first step which is geostatic, these contacts are deactivated. Also the no tension interface is not active. This step gets completed successfully. In the next step which is general static, I am applying a horizontal displacement of 1 mm at a reference point located at the centre of foundation in the base. This is achieved by applying rigid body constraint to the whole foundation and keeping only the reference point active. However, in the 2nd step, it says the displacement increment is too large and finally it fails. Can anybody please help me on this? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back