Nobody offers me a job, even an interview...! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimbali

Automotive
Jun 2, 2003
CA
Hi dear engineer friends,

I've got my BS in Electrical and Control Engineering (5 year course) from one of the best non-US (from Asia) accredited university in the world with an average of 76%. I used to work (part time and contract) in an Automotive supplying parts company for four years during the BS degree. After the Uni, I continued to work with them for one year more (full time) and then moved to England to study Master in Automotive Engineering. I designed and made some devices from concept to production, each for the first time in my country.

Now I almost finished my Master in Automotive Engineering and have been looking for a proper job for more than 7-8 months. Although my background was totally different from the MSc course, and English was not my mother tongue, but I managed to take a distinction degree with an average of 78% and ranked first in the department.

Now I'm an automotive electronics embedded system designer (very good experience), a programmer, Electronics guy, a good control and instrumentation guy (some experience), a bit mechanical and some automotive (no practical experience though) and very strong mathematics and physics are on the top of all that.

I don't say I did something exceptional, by no means. But I was at least better than average. No company even asked me for even a simple interview. Could anybody tell me what's wrong with me (or the companies)? What else could a 25 yaer graduate student have done? I mainly applied for automotive electronics companies, big and small. I see some people working in some companies in high rank engineering positions (and I worked with them in some projects) and can swear that I am a better engineer, but I'm here at home spending money and they are at work making money!!

Thanks for reading this long, sad story of mine.

Cheers
SAEED

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks all for your replies.

IRStuff: In the Uk, taking work permit for somebody with MSc qualification ( and especially with electronics and IT background)is a matter of few days time and a letter to the Home Office. The company can do it with a very low charge and usually there is not a big problem. I don't know about the US and Canada, but I feel to be different as I'm not from the EU here in the UK and it makes it more difficult to find a job.

The other thing that I may say is that I applied for US visa 4 months ago for a PhD course with a full fellowship and predefined projects. I haven't heared from the embassy since then and they just say " because you come from those 7 CERTAIN NATIONALITIES your visa process could take a very long time and we cannot estimate". That's why I decided to go back to my country and start my own business and be a BIG FISH, get BIGGER and in the mean time apply for skilled migration to Canada. I may then have EQUALER rights.

As a footnote to my comment above about my brother in-laws own job search i failed to mention he was in the UK from Iran and he ultimately found it easier to get a job in the US than the UK.
Some tough years but he made his education and his natural ability pay off, which is just as well because once earning he was then able to help his brother in the UK start his own business and now is doing the same for me!
If you think life is tough at the begining of your career, it can be more so when you have stacked a few years in because the biggest phobia many companies have is not race or religion but age. I would equate age with experience but many employers do not make this distinction.
For me the choice was do nothing or start my own business. I have to say that i have enjoyed six months of no job (and few opportunities) because i used that time to do some short college courses in business studies.
Sure, there is discrimination in the world.
But the message that seems to come through is to make sure you've got everything else lined up before that can be an excuse.
One of the first things i discovered is that i couldn't write a Cv to save my life. Rambling (you could guess that one), irrelevant, are just a couple of the comments.
For some reason lots of HR department never acknowledge job applications. I have no idea why. Common courtesy would suggest that a computerised response is not a problem.
One of the things they never teach you at college or university is how to get a job.
Consultants will advise you not to give unnecessary details. Don't put your age on the application, don't put your current salary. Don't put your nationality or race or religion. Do put your qualifications and experience where relevant. If you have more qualifications than the job calls for, just don't mention them.

Point taken.

In the US, it can be a little harder, because you need to show that you are unable to fill the position with the existing labor pool. Usually, companies reserve that effort for people they really like or want to keep.

TTFN

Thanks jmw; I already decided to start my own business as I have enough support and money to do that in my country. As TheThich mentioned in the other topic, you cannot get rich if you work for somebody else. I don't know how far this goes, but it sounds true to me.

IRStuff: It's supposed to be the same here in the UK and they should show that there is nobody can do the job in the REGION; but it's much easier to feel the lack of engineering potentials here in the UK (comparing to the States) and it ends up to an easy process for people willing to employ postgraduate staff.

Cheers

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your House!

Zimbali,

I just read through this posting and decided to find out how your business is coming along?

I am in a similar predicament although I reside in Canada.
I'll be graduating with a MSc in Electrical with emphasis on Instrumentation and Control. I've been working as a full time Technical Analyst at a big IT company while completing my studies.

I've started the job application process and have made a note of all the advice that was given to you but it will be a long rough road ahead. I'll have to be competing with too many qualified unemployed engineers for that first interview.

I also thought of starting a business but you pretty much need experience and a client base. How does one get a client base without a decent portfolio? How did you get one? What is your business all about?

Klaus

Hi knji!

Just read your post here and the other thread you started.

Be very careful about starting your own business with experience. Would you be able to get liability insurance?

Are you a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer? This might lead to more - and better paying - job opportunities than your M.Sc. (it does at my company, our Systems Administrator is one of the highest paid employees).

I wish you good luck with your job search, but hold on to your present job. You are trying to enter engineering at a time when many people are trying to leave it.

The advantages that a young engineer has over an experienced engineer are:

> youth -- while generally a taboo subject, it's certainly recognized that older engineer will hit a retirement limit sooner than a young engineer

> tabula rasa -- a young engineer hasn't been corrupted (hopefully) by poor habits. This would also be coupled with adaptability, which is very important in a shrinking workforce.

> not yet pidgeon-holed or overly specialized -- by a similar token to the above, a young engineer is less likely to be so specialized that they can't take on something that's not directly in their discipline. Stress your desire and capability to learn new things and willingness to take on problems outside of your discipline. It's a double-edged sword, though, since some employers prefer highly specialized employees.

> less likely to be burned out -- your youthful enthusiam should be made apparent to your prospective employer.

TTFN

Corus,

You said,

'Personally I wouldn't worry about chartered status as your Masters degree shows you have that 'extra' qualification that chartered offers'.

I disagree with this statement. I have recently become chartered with IMechE and most of the questions they asked me at the interview were about my level of experience and responsibility. Qualifications were not mentioned at all.

An acquaintance of mine had his application rejected and he had a PhD. The entry-level qualification for new graduates is an Msc.

In my opinion it’s very hard to judge the engineering ability of someone you don’t know and have never worked with based on someone’s academic qualifications. Getting chartered shows employers that you have the relevant experience as well as academic qualifications.

I have heard many engineers complain about the status of engineering when compared with other professions. If engineers themselves see no value in becoming chartered then maybe this is why the general public don’t know the difference between a mechanical engineer and a motor mechanic?

i have the same problem now. i am a chee with master of science. i am on a PHD program. but i just wnat to find a job. my special interest is in semiconductor manufacturing, but no one has offer a interview yet. while, good luck to you and myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back