Nodal force applied to geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

PY4070

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2015
CN
Hi All

I am new to Patran and try to know more details about Patran. My question is that if I applied a nodal force (lets say 100N) and a curve geometry is selected as the application area. Does that mean the force (100N) ia applied to each node in the curve or the force is distributed on all the nodes according to some algorithm.

I did some check runs and my guess is that each node of the curve is subjected to 100N. If I want to distribute the 100N force, I'll have to use the RBE MPC. Can anyone help confirm my idea or correct me?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you should do is calculate a running load (N/m or N/mm) depending on your modeling units and apply this running load as a 'distributed load' or 'CID distributed load' in MSC.Patran.

Alternatively an RBE3 can also be used to distribute the applied load onto a group of selected nodes. A RBE3 essentially acts as a 'whiffle tree' element.

Hi Nlgyo,

Thank you very much for the reply. I think maybe I did not make my question clear. I am more interested in applying a concentrated force to a surface. When I apply a concentrated force (100N) to a surface, it means the load is ultimately applied to each node with a value of 100 N? The total load applied to the surface would be the number of node * 100 N ? If I want to make sure the total load applied to the surface is 100N, I then have to use the RBE?

Thanks

Isn't 'concentrated force applied on a surface' called pressure? So if I were you I would distribute this force on a surface as a pressure.

if you apply node force to a curve it will apply that force to each node on the curve unless you use total load which will distribute the force onto a line or surface etc. nodal force is the wrong way to apply a load onto a curve as its not a proper uniform distributed load unless there only 2 nodes on the curve

Hi Inline6,

Thank you for your reply. I compared my FEA and hand calculation and found the force applied to a geometry is actually applied to each node on the geomeotry. Pressure is the right way to applied the load for my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back