Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Node based contact without orphan mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

satyasrinivas

Structural
Jan 18, 2008
CA
Hi,

Is it possible to define node-based contact surfaces in CAE without actually creating an orphan mesh ?

In other words, is it possible to define the contacts between 'parts' using nodes ?
If yes, any suggestions ?

Thanks,
SS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CAE gives the option of picking a node based surface, when defining a contact. It is not necessary to create an orphan mesh. Only time I have created an orphan mesh is when I wanted to delete some elements.

Gurmeet

Hi Gurmeet,

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned one other problem in my question.

Once I pick a surface in CAE, I am assuming all the nodes on the surface will be assigned to the contact. At this point, I would like to remove some selected nodes out of contact node set.

So, let us say I pick a surface for a slave surface in an interaction. Now all the nodes of the surface will be associated with the contact definition. But what I want in the contact definition is (all the nodes on the surface 'minus' selected nodes on the edge of that surface). So finally, it should be a subset of the surface nodes.

Is it possible to do this in CAE without creating an orphan mesh.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Satyasrinivas,

You can also pick the surface and then unpick the edges from the surface. I have done this to remove some overconstraints in CAE.

Gurmeet

Thanks Noirom84 and Gurmeet.

I will try both; but if it works, unpicking edges will be really helpful for my model, as overconstraints is the exact problem I have..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back