Noise attenuation due to elbows in ducts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aesoton

Marine/Ocean
Sep 25, 2002
GB
Hello all,
I have been trying to find this information everywhere but without much luck. I want to know the formula for calculating the noise attenuation in a HVAC systme due to the inclusion of a duct. I am aware that for a curved elbow the attenuation is 0dB, but what about a rectangular bend? All I have found is a set of tables from ASHRAE applications 199 Chap46. I would like to know how to calculate the attenuation so that I can tailor the resulta to my own systems.
Any help appreciated.
Andrew299

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think you will get a simple answer to this one. Mitre(rectangular) bends are frequently equiped with internal turning vanes. The number and size of these will determine the airflow resistance of the bend - which will inturn change the amount of re-generated noise. Most people will just take the centre path dimension and allow for distance attenuation only.

The answer to your question should be covered in the paper:

"Explicit formulas for the calculation of regenerated noise in ducts" by Tim M Marks

The entire paper is available online. Do a google search and you should find the downloadable paper. The link is below but I find that long links tend not to work.

You can also do a google search on "ashrae noise control" to find it. The search details are:
The 33 International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control ...File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
ASHRAE: Systems and Applications Handbook. 1987; [6]. PA Holmes BSRIA 1975; [7]. SRL: Noise control in Mechanical Services . ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back