Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noise Criteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrianQ

Mechanical
Aug 14, 2006
US
Does anyone know of any sites where I can find out about Noise Criteria (NC - ##).

I have a list of specific noise criteria for spaces, but I'm not sure how that equates to equipment & ductwork transmitting sound (if the equipment/ducting meet the criteria).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fantech provide a fan & silencer selection CD catalog with an excellent downduct and room acoustics calculator. I use this all the time for simple systems. I'd still recommend an acoustics consultant for the big jobs though.

While the insertion losses and noise generation of the equipment is automatically placed from catalog selections, you can also enter your own non-fantech values. Lined and unlined ductwork configurations are entered to allow for losses through bends etc. Terminal and room acoustics allowed.

The ASHRAE Handbooks are a good resource.
- Applications Chapter 47 Sound and Vibration
- Fundamentals Chapter 7 Sound and Vibration

Most suppliers refer back to the ASHRAE handbooks, and rely on it as the standard for the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back