Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noise Fence Behind Existing Reinforced Block Retaining Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagti

Civil/Environmental
Oct 17, 2009
CA
Does anyone have come across a situation whereby the Geogrid retaining wall which has already built in my case approx 4.0m high(13.0 ft) & afterwards Noise fence contractor comes & want to built their structure using vacuum excavation method.

I am concerned they would damage the polyester geogrid and hence the wall stability. The hole size they want to augur is about 0.75m for fence post about 0.61m dia & 4.0m deep terminating just approx close to base of retaining wall. The fence is about 12.0 ft high.

I am worried it may apply additional loading on to my wall. The wall was not designed to take any lateral & vertical loading from fence structure. In terms of vertical load i sense it should not be a problem since they plan to take post all the way down to base of retaining wall.

I am also worried about local geogrid pull out failure at the fence post location. The center of the fence post is approx 1.0m from back of cap block.

We have used large size machine placed modular blocks for retaining wall construction

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is the reason why i am trying to find what impact it will have on my retaining wall.The fence designer has given me reaction load V=40KN & Moment140KN-m. Now my query is how do i translate this information to check to see the impact on my wall. Looking at the magnitude i think these loads are too high.

Do i add this additional momement to my external stability?

I am no expert in geogrid walls, however I believe you will need to see if the strains within the geogrid are within its limits over the full depth. For external global stability, absolutely incorporate this in the loading for the geogrid wall.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back