Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non - API Pumps 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirghaffari

Mechanical
Dec 24, 2012
RO
Dear All,

- could you please help me to introduce with Non-Api pumps?
- which standard shall be referred for this pumps?
- when we use this type of pumps in Oil&Gas industry?
if you want to select the water pump in your refinery for fire fighting tank loading,which type of pump do you recommend?

thanks for your always technical supports.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ANSI or DIN or other pumps not to any specific std.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Probably 90 % of all pumps in the world (perhaps even more) are not manufactured acc. to an API standard. And I do not think that a water pump in a refinery must fulfill API but that depends upon the refinery. You do not even have to specify any standard if you think it is not necessary. Just describe what you want (as detailled as possible) and what you will not accept.

I find if I put "pump standards" into google it gives me all I need. It depends what type of pump you want or need. If you have severe duty, high pressure or just want to spend a lot of money, then api 610 is your choice for centrifugal pumps. Otherwise you can find another option or just write a performance spec and go to suitable vendors.

Fire pumps need to be fairly robust and as they tend to be large flow, relatively low pressure pumps, can be built to vendor standards.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

thanks for your answers,

but i have to choise the pump standard in our data sheet. i khnow that non Api pumps is suitable for water application, but i want to specifiy other standard such as ANSI, HI , ...
which standard do you recommend except API?

ANSI is NOT a pump performance standard. It is a dimensional standard to assist with interchangeability between vendors. Do not confuse with a pump performance spec such as API610.

Please do not torture others by applying a general specification just because you feel you need a general specification.

If you are in the position of writing specifications used in soliciting bids for a particular pump service, then you need to take on the responsibility to learn just what it is you need the pump to do, and learn for yourself what specifications apply.

I have found that just as many pumps are wrongly matched to their service due to "blind-specification" as are from having no specifications at all. Your company can severely overpay for equipment that has non-applicable specs layered onto a bid request.

Your problem seems to be one more due to laziness than insufficient knowledge.

DubMac: Spot-on. "Your problem seems to be one more due to laziness than insufficient knowledge." Although I think there is a huge knowledge gap which E.T. is always being asked to fill.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

I would be grateful if someone responds to my post that they have enough information about it.Marginal issues and moral judgments are incorrect.

thanks again

What else do you want? Read the answers you got again.

"but i have to choise the pump standard in our data sheet. i khnow that non Api pumps is suitable for water application, but i want to specifiy other standard such as ANSI, HI , ..."

Why? Why do you have to do that? Just because there is a cell in your data sheet? I suppose you are an engineer. It should not be an engineer's target to put something in somewhere just because it is there. Question yourself whether it makes sense.

In the standard box write VTA (vendor to advise). This solves your problem and then allow vendors to state what they have used which you can then look at when the tenders come back and you can look at the pump curves and pump data that comes back with the tender. It will also give you some time to follow the advice given here and do some research on the alternative options.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

It depends on what part of the world you're in, I would suggest ANSIB73.1 if it's a single stage end suction and you're in North America, or ISO 5199 / 2858 as appropriate.

Note, however, as mentioned before, these are more dimensional standards, not to the same detail as API.

The refineries here in eastern Canada use ANSI pumps for non-hydrocarbon services such as utilities, acids, etc, if pressure/temperatures allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back