Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non ASME materials 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matay

Mechanical
May 17, 2003
TR
Friends,
I'm designing a D-Type Water tube boiler Acc. to ASME sect I ,Ed.2004.
For lifting lugs,external attachments etc. I want to use St37-2 DIN material.
Our AI say material must be ASME material.But St37-2 is not ASME material and since these parts are non pressure parts(please someone can clarify me what is the pressure and non pressure part? Are attachment plates pressure part?)I think, material of these attachments are not inspectors' scope but weld of these ASME and non-ASME material and its WPS and PQR's are his scope.
For strips(fins) to be used on panels(boiler pipe walls)also in this scope he says.Are strips and their materials are ASME scope or not?
I'm a little bit confused about it ,is there anyone can help me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If external attachments are not subjected to pressure, this falls outside of the scope of ASME Section I Part UG, and "other" material can be used. However, you will need to have a qualified WPS if you will be welding the external parts directly to material that is subjected to pressure.

I would obtain either a Certificate of Conformance or Material Test Report for non-ASME material for the AI to review because you need this to qualify the WPS.

Thanks Metengr.
Materials will have EN10204(2004ed.) 3.1 certificates. Acc to your reply it must not be ASME material.Am I misunderstanding?

here is another one:
SA36 is an ASME Material, can it be used for Lift Lugs?,
Can it it be used as metal backing on welds for pressure parts?
in a Sec I Fired or unfired?
metengr, chicopee
Thanks, genb

Question 1;
SA36 is an ASME Material, can it be
used for Lift Lugs?,

Reply; yes

Question 2;
Can it it be used as metal backing on welds for pressure parts?
in a Sec I Fired or unfired?

Reply; No. If you review PW-5.1 of Section I, Part UW, it states that materials used in welded construction shall conform to one of the material specifications in Section II with allowable stress values. Well, SA 36 does have allowable stress values but you must read further that Section I limits the use of SA-36 to bar stock and for use as stays - See Section II, Part D notes G15, G18.

Note: If you plan to use any of this material,it would be wise to obtain the Original MTR(or copy) from the mill and not something generated at the supply house.

Thanks metengr,
deanc regardless, if the Code does not allow it! you can not use it.
MTR's are CMTR's and they are suppose to be by the Mill or the AI will beat you.
Any idea of acceptable materials.

By the way: All the Shops use SA36 for lift-lugs because of the "structural" quality; what can you say about that,
also attachments on boilers are SA36 (external non pressure parts or internal non-pressure parts)
genb

GenB:
Thanks for pointing that out to me. See PG-55.2.

What I was getting at was perhaps one wishes to install sheet metal baffles,say A-1011,has them cut and formed at AL's SheetMetal. Many times this stuff arrives with paperwork from a supply house only. You should take the extra effort and get MTRs from the mill. They do not have to be CMTRs,or signed for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back