Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Non circular section tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Appendix 13 of ASME Sect. VIII, Div. 1 provides minimum design requirements for non-circulcar cross section vessels.

Sketch 3 of Fig. 13-2(a) looks like the cross-section of the tank in your file (square or rectangular cross-section with corners bent to a specified radius). Or, sketch 5 would be appropriate if you need to included external reinforcing bars.

Section 13-7(c)provides stress equations for sketch 3. Section 13-8 provdies the stress equations for sketch 5, along with reinforcment spacing criteria.

First of all, thank you for your answers.

I have been reading Appendix 13 and it seems it provides formulas for some specific tank shapes. For different shapes it points to U-2 and UG-101.
I understand the tank could be calculated using FEA and then tested according to UG-101 to validate the MAWP. Am I right?

Does anybody have some experience with these steps that could be shared?

Best regards

ZGZ-

You're going a bit too far: If you qualify the design using U-2(g) and an FEA (generally done in accordance with VIII Div. 2) then you do not need to proof test the product. For this geometry, I would expect substantial deflections and thus would recommend a nonlinear FEA (even though the stresses may be linear).

If you are planning to mass-produce these tanks, it may be worth the expense to proof test as well, but that would be at your option.

If these are transport tanks, have you considered using ASME XII instead of VIII? I'm not personally familiar with XII, but I've heard it described as "Section VIII light". It may be more directly applicable to your project.

jt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back