Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-commercial learning edition of NX? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

driesvervoort

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2011
BE
Hi all,

I'm really interested in learning NX for personal use. In the company where I work, SolidWorks is the primary CAD tool. I want to try something different on my own... Question of personal fulfillment...
Is there a way to obtain a non-commercial license of NX, geared towards learning its design tools?
I've seen there's a 'NX 8.5 Learning Edition', but it's strictly available to students and academic personnel.

Regards,
Dries

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure what you in your company, but personally Solidworks is a more capable system as far as creating manufacturing sequence drawings or designing parts. I have really missed it over the years.

One point to mention is that you are comparing programs that retail for less than 5K to one that costs 5X that or more!
With that ratio, your 99 for the one program, becomes a cost of 495 for a more expensive program.

I just looked at for NX 8.5. They claim it has a retail value of 85K and they have the student edition on sale for 99. For reference, Creo2 student is 198, SolidWorks is 140 and SolidEdge is 150.

Like I said before, there are multiple ways to be classified as a student to get the software.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

To Dries,

I have taken contact with the sales representative of a re-seller of Siemens NX, and he will have look onto your request.
There might be a possibilty of an in time limited license, but offcourse I cannot guarantee this...
I have forward your mail adress to him, so please keep me informed on the outcome.

Kind regards,
Pascal

"Siemens has provided the software and students have, what I think is most important, PROPER TRAINING. By teaming up with numerous schools Siemens has taken the correct approach. I have had several supposed "power" users apply for positions that have not had any training."

I second this about proper training. Time and time again I run into people that learned NX quick and dirty and then try and make decisions on how to cut parts based on very little training knowledge. Here in Los Angeles lack of training is a real problem in the airframe business. Lots of v5 classes - few NX classes. Most employers will only hire programmers with skills obtained on someone else dime. Very little in-house anymore.

Example:
I introduced NX (UG back then) to my employer 14 years ago. I left after just one year (don't ask). I come back here 3 years ago and find they decided Sequential Mill was the only button to hit! They only gave a couple users training (and they did not retain well). So, being ex-NCL and v4 users they resorted to the drive-part-check approach of programming FOR EVERYTHING. Imagine 200-300 SeqMill ops for a part! Some of them have 100+ steps for each operation. So now they are moving to only v5 since those users got proper training from other employers.

Not to derail this thread but I think it's a training issue... NX cam for commercial airframe work here in LA is almost completely gone. Most local colleges are only offering Catia v5. Now, the space and jet engine companies are NX but they are few here except SpaceX and Aerojet Rocketdyne.

Bill

Note that we have a fully staffed training operation here at our Southern California development, support and sales office in Cypress, only a short drive from Los Angeles over the Orange County line.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Why is it then that NX cannot offer a home license to use where Solidworks & Solidedge allow you to have a home use license. The only difference between the Solidedge home license is the watermark that gets put on the drawings that it is a home license. Also not every company can afford the time away from an office for a week of training. I took the basic class at the local technical school here & it was basically the instructor reading the lesson out of the book.

If your company is willing to allow you to take a copy of NX home with you, that can be done by simply asking that NX be installed with the 'licence-borrowing' option enabled. Now this would be a full-fledged, albeit strictly temporary, version of the software, but it would not be disabled or limited in anyway, except in the sense that it would still be the sole property of the organization that licensed it and they would still be responsible for its use under the terms of the software licensing agreement that they signed with Siemens PLM Software. Also, while this software was 'on-loan', that incremental license would NOT be available to other users who were getting their licenses from the server that this license was borrowed from.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

License borrowing requires that the borrowing computer be connected to the company network to get the license. That can be done through a VPN. If you have a VPN into your company, you can just use a license while at home off the corporate server without borrowing. I did this for many years at a prior company. Just install NX locally and pouint to the corporate license server while connected with VPN.

Ben Loosli

The 'borrowing' computer only has to be connected during the licence borrowing procedure. Once a license has been 'borrowed', it can be disconnected and used until the 'borrowing' period expires.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

If the borrowing computer is someone's home computer, they aren't likely to take it to work (in my case can NOT take it) just to set up the connection to borrow a license.

Using VPN ALLOWS YOU TO WORK FROM HOME WHEN YOU WANT AND STILL HAVE ALL YOUR LICENSES IN THE WORK POOL.

Ben Loosli

What difference does it make, if the user has access to the license server via VPN, then there's technically nothing stopping him from running NX at home as long as he can legally install the software (there may still be export restrictions if the user's 'home' is not located in the same country as where the NX software was licensed to be used)?

But this may soon change as there are new technologies which are allowing us to offer alternatives to the above scenario, as outlined in this recent press release:

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back