Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-Contact Splices Placed Vertically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quade999

Civil/Environmental
May 29, 2020
US
Hi Everyone,

Design Codes allow a non-contact lap splice of up to 6". Would there be any issue by having a non-contact splice take place vertically instead of transversely like shown below? Provided that the section capacity is calculated assuming the steel is of the lower depth/
1_wqdwcz.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I also vote no, at least for the middle bars (kinda depends on stirrup spacing). My reasoning is shown below. I believe that the non-contact splicing is meant for horizontal offsets in members like slabs and walls where you've got gobs of adjacent stuff around to resist any resulting bursting tendency. If this is new construction, you could certainly arrange your stirrups to make this possible.

C01_xfq265.jpg

No as in it is an issue, or no as in it isn't an issue?

Basically it is repair work where some geometry is changing and existing bars are in bad locations.

Seems like it wouldn't be that different to the scenario below where you have two layers with splices occurring at the same point.

1_qoxxqu.png

For me it's a no, I wouldn't do this without a gaggle of stirrups near by to restrain those struts that I showed from bursting out of the concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back