Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Non-Loadbearing CFM walls as LFRS - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems strange to me that an organization for the promotion of cold formed steel framing would say don't use them for shear walls.

I have used them many times, and have found the guidance from the American Iron and Steel Institute easy to follow.

DaveAtkins

I appreciate their honesty/transparency. The design gets tricky for high EQ and multi-story. For low-EQ areas, single story, they have a method and some details, but they are fairly intensive. I'm not a big fan of the strategy. If you have structural steel there, use the structural steel. If you want to use the CFS, just make it a load bearing CFS wall.
I get the other side of the argument too. If there is a wall there, you might as well use it. However, it just feels like a square peg in a round hole to me.

You know I almost always used CFS (cold formed steel), but it seems like all specs/Revit is setup as "CFM" or "CFMS" cold formed metal and cold formed metal stud.

I think CFMF is a poor choice just because of the fact that it rarely gets detailed or installed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back