Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-Magnetic Structural Steels

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRPflow

Industrial
Nov 19, 1999
US
Anyone have a good list of magnetic properties for &quot;non-magnetic&quot; steels?<br><br>I have an application for designing a vertical reciprocating conveyor(VRC or material handling lift) typically fabricated from A36 structural shapes (W, L, C, HSS sections).&nbsp;&nbsp;We need to install a lift in a research facility room with MRI (high magnetic field) equipment.&nbsp;&nbsp;They ask that all parts be of non-magnetic steel.&nbsp;&nbsp;I also have to address mechanical interlocks & hardware.<br><br>I'm thinking of aluminum, 304 stainless.&nbsp;&nbsp;We have fabricated a 304 stainless lift but I'm not sure of the degree of non-magnatism.<br><br>Any references or list would be appreciated.<br><br>Fax 414-462-2673

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

&nbsp;&nbsp;When I worked for the Navy, we used non-mag steels on minesweepers.&nbsp;&nbsp;I remember testing bolts, etc. with a small device (magnometer?).&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have access to Mil-Spec's, I know their is one on non-mag steels.&nbsp;&nbsp;It had all of the general properties, including magnetism.&nbsp;&nbsp;IIRC, it was unclassified so you should be able to get a copy.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;We used a lot of stainless steels (don't remember which type) and monel.&nbsp;&nbsp;Almost everything was commercially available which surprised me. That was the reason we were using the magnometer, to make sure they met standard without a huge special order. <p> Imagineer<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back