Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

non-mechanical bond UHMW to steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleWilcox

Mechanical
Aug 10, 2006
CA
Hey there, does anyone know of an epoxy or other adhesive that will glue UHMW to plain carbon steel? I've found some UHMW suppliers giving info on how they can do it, but I can't find anything that tells me a good glue to buy and use.

I've read about cleaning and brushing the metal surface, and lightly oxidizing the bond surface of the UHMW with a torch... has anyone done this?

thanks!

Kyle

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

3M make some adhesive systems that can work OK with HDPE.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The main problem is the low surface energy of the UHMWPE (the same reason you can't bond to Teflon/PTFE). So, to wet the UHMWPE and thus get adhesion your best chance is a sealant with olower surface energy than the UHMWPE has. Therefore I suspect a silicone is your best bet (this is a guess based on adhesion theory).

There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted.
- James Branch Cabell

There is a work around to bonding UHMWPE to steel and that is to use a fibre impregnated sheet(and I'm assuming this problem uses flat sheet)

A good epoxy adhesive will bond to both the steel and the glass fibre backed material, and give you a reasonable joint.

If you don't wish to use the fibre back sheet, then alternatively you can try a Plexus adhesive or a film adhesive, ie 3M, this sticks most things to nearly any thing else.

Hope this helps

interesting to know Oceania... I think I've (fortunately) finally convinced my superiors that plain old steel sheet will suffice for the task instead... the fiber concept makes good sense though, and I bet will come in handy at some point in my life.

For the record, we tried to glue UHMW to steel with loctite 3030, after roughing up the steel with a grinder disc and the UHMW with 36 grit sandpaper. They did hold together actually fairly well, but not really load-bearing well. Plus the gun to dispense the loctite 3030 was $300 to buy... not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back