Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non operable valves oin Shell Mesc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sendelkr

Materials
May 12, 2009
SG
Dear all,
In certain Low temperature and cryogenic applications ,shell specifies valve bonnet to be non extended.. to be more specific it states the valves to be non operable valves (ref shell MESC 77/200).
what are the service or requirements to go for these valves..

Thanks in Advance

Regards
sendel kumar

sendel kumar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sendel

You may have opened "a can of worms" with this question.

Basically, the Shell Specification 77/200 covers valves in service between -20 deg c and -196Deg C and specifies these as "operable" valves. Valves with operating temps between 0 and -20 Deg c are deemed non operable.

This is debatable however, as some people claim that the design temp determines whether the valve is operable or not. So if the design temp is -25Deg C then this could be an operable valve.

Now this is where it gets confusing! Technically an operable valve is only so if it is fitted with an extended bonnet. If the design temp is -50deg C (this deeming it operable) but the valve is not offered/required with an extended bonnet, then it is not covered within 77/200!!!

Basically though if you have a valve operating below -20Degc (Operating or Design temp) and it is fited with an extended bonnet then it is deemed OPERABLE and thus must fulfill the requirements of 77/200.

IF, your valve has a design/operating temp warmer than -20Degc then it is NON OPERABLE.

IF your valve has a design/operating temp between -20deg and -196degc and does not have an extended bonnet, then it SHOULD be OPERABLE, however 77/200 does not cover this type of valve!

Just to give some advice.... if you do have a valve operating below -50/-60 deg C i would STRONGLY advise that you offer an extended bonnet!

Hope this helps

Regards

Matt

Sorry also forgot to add....

That all of the above is at the purchasers discretion!

So if they want the valve deemed operable then you're going to have to do offer it!

Regards

Thanks Matt ..
But still i find myself not clear with the resaon for non operable valves (ie non extended bonnet) in shell mesc .. Even though the temp is below -40 deg centigrade ..
My understanding is that Normally valves in low temperature service should be given a extended bonnet inorder to avoid the contact of freezing liquid with the packing material ..so what is the requirement for this non extended bonnet valves in low temp service ..

Regards

sendel kumar

Ok Sendel

I think i know where you are going.. Basically a valve can be deemed non-operable by Shell, if they for example specify a valve with a design temperature below -20Deg C, however they state that the valve will not meet these low temperature conditions and thus is not required to operate at low temperature.

Thus SHELL could deem the valve "NON-OPERABLE".

Depending on your valve type, the length of a standard bonnet and the packing type used in your valve, it may not be neccassary to offer an extended bonnet at -40 Deg C.

For example, a globe control valve, may be working on a service where the design temperature is -46 Deg C and may be operating below -20 Deg C.... however the packing type offered is PTFE Chevrons and is suitable up to -50Deg C... so an extended bonnet is not required to protect the packing. Because it is not offered, and to decrease the overall cost (thus making the valve more competitive) it is offered with a standard bonnet.

As i said the confusion is caused in instances like this, because Shell may deem this Operable because it is operating below -20, but it isn't covered by 77/200 because it does not have an extended bonnet.

To be very general (which i do not like been) the valve is only going to be "operable" if it is made from a grade of 300 stainless (which is suitable to -196 Deg C)... operable testing would subject the valve to cryogenic temperatures, which other materials may not be suitable for...

Hope this has helped!

Cheers

Matt

It must be observed that Shell MESC SPE 77/200 (in 2007 and 2008 editions, at least) introduces the term "non-operable valves" without giving the relevant definition, except from saying that they are the ones "not requiring an extended bonnet" (see para. 1.1 SCOPE).

A definition may be found instead in former Shell MESC SPE 77/306 (Revision: 21-Feb-2005), para. 1.1.7: "non-operable (...) means that the valve shall not be operated at service temperatures below zero degrees Celsius". The cryogenic or low temperature testing of such valves is limited to a shell (and fugitive emission) test only, without seat leakage steps.

Starting from June 2007, MESC SPE 77/306 was withdrawn and the relevant requirements incorporated in MESC SPE 77/200: probably some information got lost in this process and that may be worth sending a comment "to the MESC SPE Administrator at standards@shell.com" ;-)

Hope this helps, 'NGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back