Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

non sequential file

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConX

Aerospace
Mar 16, 2004
US
Hi All,

We're in the process of bringing in an archive file from another company and the error non sequential file keeps on coming up. Has anyone seen this error message before? If you have, what is the work around.

Ideas v 9m3
Windows 2000 & XP (2 different machines)

Importing from
Windows 2000
Ideas 7 (m3?)

thanks in Advance

Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mike: What is (are) the extension(s) on the file name? First try to unzip it on a Windows OS (right click and select Unzip). If that fails, I predict it may have (originally) actually come from a Unix OS. Without opening and saving the file on Windows, try uncompressing or unzipping it on a Unix OS (using the Unix uncompress or gunzip command). If that fails, try to obtain a pristine copy of the file directly from its original OS, and without using e-mail to transfer it. Then try the above Unix decompression again. Also read any instructions in the I-deas Help regarding importing files from Unix into I-deas on a Windows OS. I seem to recall I-deas had some special instructions in the Help regarding transferal of files to a Microsoft OS. Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I was under the impression it was coming from a Windows 2000 system, but I may be wrong. I have already tried to unzip the .arc file, and winzip doesn't recognize it as a valid zip file, so I'll give the gunzip command from Unix a shot. I have to get my hands on one of our old Solaris boxes, but I should be able to get it unpacked at least.

Again, thanks for your help.

Mike

What is (are) the extension(s) on the file name? If .Z, then (on a copy of the file) use the Unix "uncompress" command to uncompress it. If .gz, use the Unix "gunzip" command to uncompress it. If it's missing either of these extensions, try adding them before executing the command.

Since your post states the file name ends in .arc, also try opening it in MS Wordpad or MS Word and Save As text only, then try importing into I-deas 9m3.

Thanks Christopher, we ended up getting the file to import by having our vendow export the file on a different system. They are running both Unix and Windows, they originally exported the file from a Unix box, and it didn't wrok. They then created the file in a windows enviornment and it imported fine. I don't know if it was a bad file or if it was because of the operating system cross over, but once they eliminated the Unix to Windows conversion, it imported fine.

By the way, we did end up
Thanks again for all of you help.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back