Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Non sprinklered Group A building

Status
Not open for further replies.

orator

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2011
SA
Referring to section 903 of International building code, buildings classified as Group A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4 are required to have sprinkler system if any one condition under respective sections exists. In this case If I have a group A (Can be group A1 or A2 or A3 or A4) building with occupant load of 1000, It is clear that automatic sprinkler system is required. But this is contradicting with section 905.3.2 of International building code which says " 905.3.2 Group A. Class I automatic wet standpipes shall be provided in nonsprinklered Group A buildings having an occupant load exceeding 1,000 persons."
Now referring to above section, the question is how can a Group A building can be non sprinklered with occupant load more than 1000.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stookeyfpe, Thanks for you response. I do understand that sprinklers are based on section 903 and standpipes are based on section 905. Based on section 903 any Group A building with 1000 occupant load is required to have sprinklers then how come section 905.3.2 gives a condition for standpipe system requirement where it mentions nonsprinklered Group A building with occupant load exceeding 1000. Please clarify.

The most likely reason is you and I are the only people who are aware of the conflict and neither you or I have taken the time to submit a code change to correct the code. ICC staff apparently hasn't seen it either, and we've discussed this twice in 4 years. I know of other little quirks like this in the IBC and IFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back