Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Non Standard Forging MOC (SA350-LF2 CL1 vs SA765-II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechmania

Mechanical
Dec 27, 2005
US
Dear Friends,

Reference:
On High Pressure Vessel where we specify Self Reinforced Nozzle (Other Than STD ANSI LWN) which are mostly Non Standard Forging (Barrel Nozzles).
These Barrel Nozzle can be constructed from Welding 2 Pieces (Boss Welded to FLANGE) or can be made as one piece construction for Barrel and Flange .

DP: 1400 Psig
MDMT: 20F

Question:
1) If it is Made of Two Piece construction (boss welded to Flange), Can the Boss MOC be SA350-LF2 CL1 same as Flange?
2) If it is Made of One Piece Construction than Can it be all SA350-LF2 CL1?

My Understanding was, in Two piece Construction Boss Should be SA765-II and Flange Will be SA350-LF2 CL1.
And in one piece construction the Whole Forging(Boss and Flange) should SA-765-II.

As I read SA-350 is for Piping Components while SA-765 is for Pressure Vessels.

Please share your experience.

Regards,
Mechmania

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mechmania, SA-350-LF2 is widely used for both of your proposed constructions in Sec VIII, Div. 1. SA-105 may be used in some cases. In my experience SA-765 is imposed by client specs, not by Code.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Thank you SnTMan for quick response.

When i read through the specs I see them as most Identical.

See attached comparison I found that some has put together.

So what prompt these client requirements?

Is there some technical advantage of using SA765-II over SA350-LF2 Cl?

Best regards,

Mechmania

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=33859090-2925-4ddb-88c8-df085c1bfac2&file=SA765_-VS-350LF2_Copy.pdf
mechmania, it may be that for the larger forgings testing per SA-765 (Sec 6) is advantageous. I really see no particular reason to pick one over the other , except perhaps that SA-350 is widely available.

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back