Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

none conductive coating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert01

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2002
US
Hi Guys
I am looking for a none conductive thin (.002-.004 max) coating, to apply to an alum alloy with nickel plate. Is conformal coating suitable?
Later on I have to bond a device to the none conductive surface.
I you have any suggestion I appreciate

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anodize-chromic/sufuric acid (MIL-A-8625) is non-coductive. Build-up is between .00002-.00030 I am not sure if this can be applied over nickle plate you mentioned, or to what degree of voltage it is non-conductive. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

The anodic treatment cannot be performed over a nickel plating. Anodizing is basically a chemical process to induce oxidation (forming Al[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]3[/sub]) of the surface.

There are many different types of organic coatings that are non-conductive, and would provide an excellent base for subsequent adhesion. I would pick something similar to the adhesive you will be using, for example, if the adhesive is epoxy, then coat the nickel plating with an epoxy prior to the final bonding step.

I would suggest Tedlar or the use of fiberglass resin. You will of course have to abrade the contact surface, but both products are cheap and user friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back