Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nonprintable cells in Excell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zliazmei

Structural
Feb 5, 2002
AE
Hi everybody!

I have a cell in my spreadsheet that I want to see during the work on it but not to print. What I must to do to hide it during the printing?

Thanks

Zmei

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi z,
I, personally, would use a Command Button macro but you could also do it manually to:
Set text colour to background colour in selected cell/s
Print sheet
Set text colour back to visible.
I think that should work! - - - bjt.

bjt is right.This is the simplest way for people like us not much familier with programming and macros and vba coding. Try it. This not only helps during printing but also from prying eyes during normal times.

I generally try to use functions of the software I'm using and designing my file(spreadsheet) specifically for limitations/advantages of the particular software before trying work arounds. Sometimes this isn't possible, but most of the time it works.

The easiest is if you had a whole column or row you want to hide when printing. This can be done by saving views. You can save a view with specific hidden rows and columns and print areas.

For single cells here is a way to get a non-printing cell (kind of) that doesn't have to be updated with a macro (I hate having to run macros to do things).
1. You will need a cell with the data you want to be able to see somewhere on a worksheet in the nonprint area - you could just do this, but then you have to always go find that cell instead of having it right where I assume you enter data and want someone to be able to see it easily (and not forget to check it).
2. Draw a control (text box is what I use) over the cell you want the data (use alt to snap to grid).
3. When you have the text box selected you should see =embed(something) in the formula bar. Make this point to the cell containing your value. (for some reason you can link it to a cell, but not enter a formula).
4. Click the right button so the pop up menu comes up and select format picture (the text box is now a picture). On the properties menu select move and resize with cells and unselect the print object.

Is there any reason why that particular cell(s) can't be in a non-printing part of the worksheet?

In Excel, you can define a specific section of a sheet to be printable in Page Setup|Sheet|Print Area, and anything outside of that section is therefore not printed normally. TTFN

Excel won't let you remove individual cells from the print area.
If select an area, then remove a cell from the middle of it and set that area with a hole as the print area, excel will print it in four chuncks (left, right, above, below the cell) on separate pages.

I understand that Excel won't deal with individual cells in the Print Area setting, but I've rarely come across a situation where a calculation cell had to be in the middle of a print area.

Since you can operate on any cell anywhere on the sheet, couldn't you simply move the offending cell out of the print area? TTFN

Many of the spreadsheets I have made and worked on are used for reports. The layout of data is set up to be printed, so if it is a landscape report there are no blank columns or rows generally visible on screen. Thus, if there was a cell off where you'd have to scroll to see it, and especially if it was just a check that rarely went off, it'd probably be easily overlooked.

Most of the time if one of my checks went off, it meant the report wasn't going out, so I could make a cell on the report say Error or turn red (or both).

If you have checks, they should NOT be able to be overlooked, whether it is a tech or secretary or general data entry personnel, because at some point it will be you, the engineer, rushing to get a report out, doing it yourself instead of the regular personnel (who has of course become used to scrolling over and checking that little cell), and it is going to cause a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back