Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nonstick, low friction coating but No PTFE

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickraphael

Materials
Nov 22, 2013
US
We are looking for an omniphobic, nonstick, low coefficient of friction coating for a kitchen device used for hand grinding relatively soft foods like herbs and spices. PTFE was our first choice but because this is being sold to the 'health conscious' market, it was eliminated as an option. (I know it's safe but "no PTFEs" is what they want!) We originally tested PTFE coatings against a variety of food products and the average static CoF was .30 which is what we are aiming for with a different coating

The device is used at room temperature, and the substrate is Al 7000 series. It must be FDA approved for food contact and cost is a consideration. There will be little or no abrasion in use. It should be not more than .002" thick. The parts are 2.5" diameter.

We would prefer to have the parts coated in China (where they are manufactured) by an American subsidiary if possible. Do any suggestions come to mind?

Thanks,

Rick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are peppercorns "relatively soft?"

Have you considered the ceramic coatings currently used for non-stick? I would be concerned about durability of something like PTFE in a grinding application; I think there will eventually be sufficient wear to remove the PTFE. We once had a thread on the fact that cotton thread could cut through SS rollers. I would have thought that you would need a hard material for grinding applications.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Thanks, not peppercorns, think dried basil, oregano, garlic, etc. soft stuff. We tested PTFE for a year with no wear at all.

I'd second Irstuff's recommendation of a ceramic coating. I do a lot of cooking, and I've recently been using ceramic over aluminum cookware. Incredible stuff. For practical purposes it does a much better job than PTFE for non-stick and cleanability, but it can chip if impacted by a hard implement or object.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Thank you ornerynorsk and IRstuff. I'll look into ceramics. I cook a lot myself but I'm not familiar with ceramic coated cookware. Are these ceramics comparable to Teflon®? Any idea who's coating it?

They are supposed to be replacements for PTFE nonstick coatings and work quite well in certain application, but in others, they're worse than PTFE, w.r.t. discoloration and scorching resistance. I think most of the coatings are done in China, and seem to come in 3 flavors (colors) blue, green, and white. If you're in the US, Walmart, Target, Big Lots all sell one or more brands of ceramic coated cookware.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

@IFRs
Hard anodizing is an interesting idea. We gave it a thought early on but rejected it because of color constraints and I didn't think it would have the lubricity. Have you had any experience with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back