Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nonuniform distributed load over beam elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

y32k

Structural
Jul 4, 2007
US
I'm trying to create a linear, nonuniform distributed load over multiple beam elements. When I select multiple elements and a apply the load, I get a saw-tooth pattern. I don't want to have to load each beam individually using the appropriate value based on interpolation. There must be a way to just enter the load at each end of the entire beam and have it automatically load the individual segments. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

What pre/ post are you using?

If you use Femap you can create loads based on node coordinates and variables.

Or you create one beam and load it appropriate load. Then you split it with the Custom Tools. I think there is a useful function Element Update - Divide beams.

Good Luck

Thomas

I'm using Femap v9.3 and NeiNastran v9.1. I thought there was a way to create loads based on coordinates, but I can't figure it out. The Femap help on that subject isn't very clear. I haven't been able to find the Element Update - Divide beams function either. Is that a Femap command?

I found the divide beams command, but it doesn't split the load. It splits the beam and gives one element all the load and none on the other.

Another problem that I just discovered is that when I apply a distributed load in the Global Z direction, Femap applies it in the Element Y direction. All the other Global and Elemental directions work properly. Is this just a setting somewhere, or is there a bigger problem here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back