Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noob: Create an animation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAZARRI

Automotive
Nov 5, 2009
ES
Hello.
worf : i need to make a simple animation, a rotation of a wheel around an axis...Can sombedy explain (o r say where is a manual) to take this ...step by step

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use Assembly Sequencing for that.

First create an Assembly of the Wheel and Axle, with the Axle 'Fixed' and the Wheel aligned with the axis of the Axle yet still free to rotate.

Now enter...

Assemblies -> Sequencing

..then select...

Task -> New

...and once you have a new sequence, select...

Insert -> Motion

...and select the Wheel component. Now unless the handle happens to already be located at and aligned with the axis of the Axle, select 'Move Handle' icon and move the handle so that it is aligned with the axis of the Axle. Now go back and select the 'Move Objects' icon and select the handle which represents the direction you wish to rotate the Wheel and enter the number of degrees you wish it to rotate (noting that under the 'Motion Record Preferences' icon, you can set the maximum number of frames to create as well as smooth a movement you wish to create). Once you done that select the Green 'Check Mark' and your sequence will be built. Now you can play it forward or backward using the 'VCR' controls on the Playback toolbar.

Note that this sequence will automatically be saved with your assembly file and can be replayed anytime by entering the Sequence task and hitting the 'Play' button. If you're using NX 6.0 or NX 7.0, you can also record a video of your 'animation' by selecting the 'Export to Movie' icon also located on the Playback toolbar.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi John,

I just had a go at this, and was wondering if there is a way to have two motions occur simultaneously? i.e. if you wanted to show a car rotating as if on a display stand with the wheels turning at the same time.

Each time I add a motion it adds it after the last and there seems no way of editing this.

Thanks

Mike

Not with Sequencing, but this could be done by creating an Animation, unfortunately that process is much more complicated and something which would be very difficult to explain in a forum like this.

However, to give you an idea of what's possible, take a look at the attached example that someone created with Unigraphics over 12 years ago (and yes, you can still do the same thing in NX today).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Animations can be as easy or as difficult as you like. I think I've become as good at creating them as anyone and I still struggle with navigation and consider it overdue for some improvements.

These were done in the main by creating simple animations using mating conditions and incrementing expressions from one frame to the next. To do that you base your calculations on an expression named FrameNumber. You'll need a studio visualisation license if you want to achieve high quality rendering.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Nice animations!

I'm having trouble in NX7, and could it be due to the fact I'm using assembly constraints? (you used mating conditions?)

I made a simple example to show my point, my axle starts rotating in another direction all of a sudden, and if you preview the animation, you won't be able to get to the same startingpoint again! (As my startingpoint was 90+FrameNumber degrees)

Seems like it's having problem with angles passing 90/180/270 degrees, making the animation of things I want to rotate several revolutions in one animation, quite hard to archieve.

I think it only has 6 DOF constrained aswell.
(datum axle to datum axle, datum point on datum plane, angle between datum planes)

(I tried making a wankel engine, and the animation looked ok the first few degrees, until things started to reverse direction all of a sudden, but this example is much easier to look at :))

Any tips on how to get my axle do a full revolution (and preferably several?)

Cheers
/Frank

Frank Hagström
www.conex.se

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0ce66246-9f0c-48dc-9fab-fcaaf4662306&file=nx7_anim.zip
Load the attached assembly and give it a try. The secret is to use the 'Orient Angle' option for stuff like this as it's mathematically unambiguous, whereas '3D Angle', while it works fine for simple positioning (and it requires only 2 rather then 3 selections), since it has to extrapolate the axis of rotation based on what was selected it often gets messed up with those asymptotic conditions at angles like 0 and 180.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back