Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noob multimeter question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

timeline1968

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2006
US
I'm going to pre-apologize for this question, as it's pretty simple:

I have a multimeter that I'm trying to figure out what the accuracy is when measuring small values of ohms (.5-10ohms). The booklet for the meter states:

Range:500.00ohms, Resolution: 0.01 ohms, Accuracy 0.05%+10^3

I don't understand the last part of the accuracy reading. The 0.05% I understand (say 20ohms: 20*.0005 = 0.01ohm, so I could read 19.99 to 20.01) but what does the 10^3 mean?

Thanks for any assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you look at a datasheet from the same manufacturer to get a better description?

Offhand, it looks to be a typo, since most such specifications are usually a percentage, which represents a scaling error, and the measurement noise, which is usually given as "counts."

So, it would normally read "0.05% +/- 3 counts," or something to that effect.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

This is for a Fluke Multimeter. They state that its accuracy is supposed to be represented as:

+/-([% of reading] + [number of least significant digits])

Isn't 10^3 = 10,000? I don't understand at all. Maybe it is a typo...

On their website the accuracy is listed as:

Accuracy ± (0.05%+2)

The 2 means 2 LSD, so is it accurate to 0.1 ohm then since the range is listed as 500.00?

>On their website the accuracy is listed as:
>Accuracy ± (0.05%+2)
>The 2 means 2 LSD, so is it accurate to 0.1 ohm then since the range is listed as 500.00?

The accuracy depends on the reading.
Let's work through it.
Suppose you are measuring roughly 500 ohms.
0.05% of the reading is 0.25 ohms.
2 LSDs is 0.02 ohms.
The accuracy is ±(0.25 + 0.02) = ±0.27 ohms.

If you are measuring only 50 ohms on this same scale the error is then ±(0.025 + 0.02) = ±0.05 ohms

IRStuff: OMG, I am a frikin' tard. The 3 is a reference to a note below that states: Using relative mode (REL delta) to zero residual reading). I was stuck looking at it as engineering notation.

This does not, however resolve everything as the specs seem to be conflicting. The book says 10 LSD and the web says 2 LSD.

Logbook: Thanks for the example, it makes the computation completely clear, but I still have the problem with the two listed specs not matching now.

Which meter is it?

Generally, the stuff on web pages tend to be the BEST possible performance, while the actual manual lists all possible configurations. You'd need to identify the particular model, the webpage, and a link to the manual for us to get any further insight into the problem.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back