Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

North American unit system and regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulomanuel

Civil/Environmental
Sep 7, 2000
GB
I am a structural engineer from Portugal. I am looking for information on: 1. US and Canada most used units system besides the International System (S.I.); 2. Canadian regulations for construction: reinforced concrete and steel structures. Can someone indicate me where I can download a copy of those regulations? And can someone get in touch with me to inform me of the units system? My e-mail: sacramentosk8@hotmail.com [sig][/sig]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Canada uses SI. The US uses the old English system of foot as the base unit for length and pound for force. Be warned that there are many different sub- and super-units. For example, inch is the subunit of foot and yard and mile are super units. Most US textbooks will have the conversions (as the world is trying to, unsuccessfully, convert us to SI) or you can download any of the unit conversion utilities from at category Business, subcategory Math&Engineering

Canada has a National Building Code and each locality will have extensions to it. I'm not sure how you get a copy of that. I'd suggest contacting the government of the province in which the building will be built. The Canadian Institute of Steel Construction provides standards for steel. Their head office is at:
CISC
201 Consumers Road, Suite 300
Willowdale, ON, M2J 4G8.
[sig]<p> Imagineer<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back