Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NOS injection on a propane engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

1asa

Computer
Apr 24, 2003
IT
What's involved injecting Nitrous Oxide in a straight propane (LPG) powered V8 engine?
There are the same rules as in a gas engine?
Has been tryied?
TIA,
Rick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The rules should be the same ... LPG burns in theory the same as petrol, IE: It requires air to do so, so the more air you have, the more LPG you can burn.

Nitrous and propane have is being use together in diesel engines to improve performance. I just don't no how you would control the mix of the two gases to maintain control of the combustion. BULLIE DOG is the company that has that combination for diesel engine

Generally speaking, you are correct, but for one glaring item:

When running NOS on a gasoline engine, you can simply richen the gasoline mixture to help with combustion cooling. The evaporative effect of the rich gasoline helps draw heat from the combustion chamber. When running LPG, a rich mixture is dry and relatively no heat is absorbed. You can have a very hot combustion chamber very quickly with NOS and LPG.

Some rodders are using LPG with NOS and gasoline, where the LPG is simply replacing gasoline in the process, and there is relatively little heat buildup.

Franz

Thanks for the inputs.
So to cool down the combustion chamber and prevent detonation may be possible to inject water+alcohol in conjunction with NOS?
Also I have not forged but cast pistons in my rebuilt engine, do you think they will take the extra punishment of a moderate amount of NOS without blowing away?
And what about the ignition timing curve? Will need to be retarded on NOS? LPG is said to like a short ignition curve all in about 32 degrees total.
Thanks again

You can use water injection to help with temperatures. Your weak point is certainly the cast pistons, as any NOS site will advise. I have no idea, and no company can state if your pistons will last, but my nickel is on losing them quickly, but it all depends on how much NOS, the engine BSFC/BMEP, rpm, timing, etc, etc.

Timing with this engine will be strictly by the seat of your pants, with a VERY careful eye on the plugs. Install a knock sensor meter to help too.

Franz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back