Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NOT permitted materials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any material welded to a Code pressure part needs to comply, even if it is just temporary. That material has the potential to mix into your Code material. I'm not familiar with that particular material, but keep in mind that materials can be certified to comply.

henderrj said:
Any material welded to a Code pressure part needs to comply, even if it is just temporary. That material has the potential to mix into your Code material. I'm not familiar with that particular material, but keep in mind that materials can be certified to comply.

The above quote is an incomplete statement. If the query related to Section VIII Div. 1, the proper ending of the sentence would be "... with VIII-1 UG-4." The argument must further be made that the temporary test cap is not a part of the Section VIII construction and thus is not a "pressure containing part" as far as the Code scope is concerned.

Given, however, that the query related to Section I, the proper ending to the sentence would be "...with PG-10." Again, the argument could be made that the temporary test cap is not within the scope of Section I.

Any concerns with material dilution can easily be addressed by extending the Code component by an inch, then cutting to final dimension after the test, thus cutting out the weld and any potential dilution issues.

jte,
I've actually been doing research for a training on this today. I agree with everything you said, and I have another question for you:

In reference to Sect. VIII, Div. 1, and using ramsripaven's example of a pipe nozzle with the Code boundary ending in accordance with U-1(e)(1)(-a):
The Code ends at the weld joint, and doesn't include the weld, per U-1(e)(1)(-a). Interpretation VIII-1-89-115 backs this up. That's not saying that a non-Code welder could weld that joint, without a weld procedure, because you would still be bound by UW-47/48 (Still under construction during the hydro). The material needs to be in accordance with UG-4(b) for this as well. However, interpretation VIII-1-83-282 says that piping welded to that joint doesn't have to conform to Sect. VIII, Div. 1. How could that be the case? That's piping welded to the Code boundary, so that would be equivalent of someone welding non-Code material to the shell.

henderrj-

I'd suggest searching this site for previous discussions of code scope at a nozzle neck intended to be field welded. Some examples:
thread794-125368
thread292-257182
thread794-271021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back