Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notation of scale 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom10000

Military
Sep 3, 2018
GB
Hi,

Should "Scale 1:1" be surrounded by parenthesis?

edit:
this is underneath a section/detail/or drawing view

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks MintJulep

Issue is a QC inspector (we all know the type) thinks they have to be as he has to verify everything on the page that is not in brackets. He mentioned something about printing pages and checking the scale!
I am ambivalent about it, apart from the fact there are 50'000 drawings dating back to 1944 where there are no parenthesis and i do not like the idea raising the drawing changes, let alone changing the drawings!

No. Your QC inspector is an idiot.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Para. 1.4(b) says that scaling of a drawing is prohibited anyway so show him that.

John Acosta, GDTP Senior Level
Manufacturing Engineering Tech

I stopped adding scale on drawings a few years ago. It's not needed anymore.
Majority of printers do not properly print to scale, a lot of companies no longer use plotters.
Scale on drawings are useless. In the past almost 10 years, I have not once had anyone come to me and actually need to scale off of a drawing.
The 3D models are all that are needed.

Chris, CSWP
SolidWorks '17
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

Scale on a drawing may not be as useful as it used to be, but scaling a drawing wasn't supposed to be done anyway. A more important reason for including scale is to get an understanding of size relative to other drawn objects.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back