Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notations used in ANSI 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuzent

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2005
QA
Hello All,

I just graduated in June and got my first permanent job. I was assigned to do bid evaluations.

Does any1 know a good web resource for me to understand the notations used in ANSI (e.g. 125#FF flange??)

Thanks

Abuzent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Abuzent,

The standard engineering handbooks like Perry's Chemical Engineers Handbook and Machinery's Handbook will have sections discussing the different classes and styles of piping, flanges and fittings.

The web site has quite a bit of info, plus links to other sites.

When I was starting out I found that supplier's catalogs were very useful. Ask in your buying office or your drawing office where they will most likely have a range of catalogs.

If you company is not big enough to have its own pipe standard manual check with the draftsmen in the D.O. - they tend to "accumulate" their own libraries as they move around from contract to contract.

And never stop asking questions. In my experience pipers are a friendly lot, always ready to help each other out.

Good luck
Katmar

You could also take a look at
Cheers,
pipingdesigner

pipingdesigner
pipingdesigners%20logo.gif

BTW, ANSI (e.g. 125#FF flange includes old notations not actually correct. ANSI is a conglomerate organization that recognizes accepted standards. The flange standard is ASME. ASME Class 125 would be more accurate. Look for AWME B16.5 for flange information. The # or pound inserted is wrong. If you are a recent grad having progressed straight through your educatino, the pound references left the ASME standard long before you were born. You will see that explained in front of the standard.

Most people never read codes and standards. Lead, do not follow those people.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back