Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

notching on steel rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

enese

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2005
TR
Have got a problem with car headrest insert production.
Material is ST 37 ( SAE1008 or C9D )with dia:12 mm and we have to make several notches on the bended rod.
The current production system is broaching and it is not the best industrial system to produce this kind of notches. ( too slow )
Does anybody have experience on cold forming of notches on steel rod ?

Thanks for your help on the subject.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

does it matter with u cutting of the fibers in the rods.......i mean forming a nautch by forming processes will make a better strength from maching....but machining will give u the surface u want.....i thought about shaping first but it will be slow.......a press will be hard to control the length and width of the rod and consider the flashes.....but it a good idea

Enese,
If the material is cold formed, the displaced material must move to a nearby area or make the rod longer. The cold working will affect the mechanical properties in the worked area as well.
What level of automation can you afford?
Why cannot several notches be broached at one hit?
Can the part be run past a gang-mill cutter? If so, I can envision the rods being fully notched regardless of the number of notches at a rate of about five seconds each. Even the broaching could be adapted to a gang tool process.

Griffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back