Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechdesignron

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2008
US
Hello,

I am using NX 7 and I would like to put a note in a model. An Engineering note. Maybe link to an external folder of text documents. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks
Ron

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You say a 'link' like you're expecting to be able to 'click' on this note and have it go to and open this folder, sort of like a link in an HTML document, correct?

Well, I'm not aware of anything like that. You can however insert the contents of a text file into an NX Drawing as a note by going to...

Insert -> Note...

...and go the bottom of the Text Input section of the dialog in Import/Export area and select the 'Insert text from File' option. Note that there is no 'link' created, the text is merely copied from the text file and inserted into the NX Annotation editor.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I would like to add a note to the model, I don't want to have to start the drafting or create a sheet. I only mentioned the "link" as a possible work-around for what I really want to do. In the properties there is a place where I can add, well attributes, I need a place to add some text. There is text information for the different arrangements, if there was some way to edit that information to display what I want.

Thanks

Just because you enter the Drafting module does not mean that you are confined to ONLY creating text on a Drawing sheet. Just toggle OFF the display of the drawing sheet (or not even create one) and just work in the 3D modeling view creating notes (note that they will automatically be placed on the XY plane of the WCS).

And then there is the PMI module which will allow you to 'annotate' your 3D models including adding notes, labels, dimensions, sections and hatching as well as GD&T notations to edges, faces and features.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back