Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nozzle Bent During Shipment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HightyHo

Chemical
May 23, 2007
US
During shipment from the fabricator’s shop, our pressure vessel shifted and bent 2 nozzles on the shell section. The vessel was shipped back to the contractor for repair of the nozzles. The contractor just hammered the nozzles back to position. Is this standard practice to just hammer on the nozzle until it is in place? If so why do you spend time making sure it is straight before welding, why not just weld and hammer into place. My question:
Is it a recognized code practice to hammer a nozzle back into place without performing any NDE or replacing the nozzle? I would think the best repair is to replace the nozzle.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well hammering is not right, but it could be jacked to correct position if it was just a very slight amount of movement

We would perform some kind on nde on neck to shell weld.

you don't say how badly it was bent or if there was any deformation in neck or shell

Did you prepare and NCR to identify the problem or a proposed course of action to identify any possible damages to shell or neck?

Also...sorry about this note....The lower of the 2 nozzles once straightened has a bulge in the neck about 1/2" from the shell weld. This makes me want to insist on replacement.

well, if there is any deformation of shape, then it needs to be replaced.

this is where it gets sticky, legally that is.

depending on the po and arrangements, the ownership of vessel changed when it was loaded on the truck to be shipped to you.

if this is the case, it is your vessel to be fixed as you say and the trucking company and/or their insurance pays.
repaired with new nozzles, rehydro tested, and r-stamp applied.

if it is not the case then there maybe some conflict between fabricator and trucker over payments.

Nevertheless, an NCR should be filled out and the fabricators AI involved BEFORE the repair is started

In addition to vesselfab's advice you need to get your AI involved also.
I've seen this happen numerous times and though the process of correcting said problem should be simple it usually degenerates into a pi**ing contest. Just make sure you have everyone on board at the get go.

HightyHo,

From your uploaded photo, I was able to make out 2 things

1) Transportation arrangements for the vessel are severely substandard. How come no wooden/ shipping saddles are present? The vessel is also resting on on of its lug support. NOT A GOOD SIGHT !

2) The bent nozzle appears to be a small one. We always stiffen nozzles <=2" NPS using two gussets spaced 90 degrees apart.

Overall,the shipping responsibilty should be placed with the equipment fabricator and specified expliictly in the contract/ MR.

-Jehan

Jehan, shipping arrangements are per terms of the purchase order. We routinely try avoid being responsible for shipping, especially on large items. The buyer and his lift contractor know how the equipment needs to be placed for ease of lifting. The buyer knows his location and historical route there and through plant. Buyers want freight arranged on pre-pay & add basis and are not willing to pay for the hours required to co-ordinate trucking with their field/lift contractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back