Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nozzle pad edge stress intensity factor (SIF) derived from Part 4.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenbee

Mechanical
May 4, 2007
US
Commercial software such as COMPRESS Codeware is using Part 4.5 in ASME Code VIII-2 to derive the SIF at pad edge.

It is easy to understand that nozzle with or without pad stress intensity factor (SIF) at intersection could be derived from per eq. 4.5.55 and 4.5.145. But to the pad, what the assumption to the inputs could get the pad edge SIF, such as Rn, tn, and etc.?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a Pad with a width greater than sqrt(Dx(T+t)), SIF = 1.
For a narrow pad, engineering judgement is required. I don't know of any design method which provides an adjustment factor.

DriveMeNuts

Thanks for your response. I found the COMPRESS Codeware report that SIF at pad edge is derived from Part 4.5 ASME Code VIII-2. I cannot figure it out how it is derived for a pad. Nozzle SIF can be figure it out.

That is weird. I haven't used Compress in a while but I did study the nozzle loading design routine a lot and vaguely remember Compress assuming that the SIF at the edge of the pad is assumed to be 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back