Nozzle thermal displacement on compressor package (skid) end connections 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechEngineer2012

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2017
US
Hello everyone,
I want to figure out the "Nozzle thermal displacement" for connecting pipe nozzles in compressor and pump packages. These pipes handle the process and also the incoming and outgoing water for cooling. Can you help me find sources to estimate this displacement? It is for general knowledge, not a particular project, so an approximate calculation is sufficient. Thanks! I have included a sample picture.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=48859685-72f6-40ef-8926-252fa210e44b&file=IMG_1280.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Expansion of carbon steel pipe (in inches) is = Temperature change (°F between installation temperature and operating temperature) x length (inches) x 0.000006

You must sum the expansion in each X, Y and Z directions the pipe is parallel to.
Length is the sum of distances from machine axis to start of pipe + length of pipe to nozzle in the axis of interest.
Length along the machine axis is the length between machine anchor + length of pipe.
--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Dear 1503-44,

I sincerely appreciate your valuable contribution and the method you have shared for calculating nozzle thermal displacements.

If it is not too much trouble, could you kindly provide the source of this calculation? Was it documented in a specific book or research paper? Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you once again for your input.

Table C-1 in ASME B31.3 lists the CTE for different temperatures and different materials. 6 x 10-6 is actually a little low for standard C stl.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back