Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nozzle Velocity Separator

Status
Not open for further replies.

oillio

Petroleum
Oct 1, 2009
SY
Good Afternoon,

I would like to know how to calculate the velocity of the gaz in outlet nozzle of separator.
It is a 2 phases separator. I have the flow, the density, the viscosity of the gas.

Thank you for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you tickle for your response.

Actually I thought also about this formula but as it seems too easy I was not sure...

The problem is when I do the calculation flow / nozzle area = velocity I found 180 m/s....

too huge I think...

I examined several gas condensate separators designs and found values in the range 30-50 m/s for velocity in inlet/outlet lines at operating consitions, however these should have a limited influence in separation process, the efficency being determined mainly by the vertical velocity, the turbolence etc. etc. inside the separator...
In my experience the value you mentioned (180 m/s) seems a bit too high for a natural gas line (but could be acceptable for different purposes), I would check the values of gas density and flow, then calculate the speed of sound and compare values with the velocity at maximum flow.

Hello PaoloPemi,

Thank you for your response.

The flow rate is 10 MMscfd, the diameter of the nozzle is 6 inch...maybe I did a mistake in my formula.

The density of the gas is 33kg/m3 and viscosity 0.0129 cp.

I will try to see is the flow is correct.

Thanks again

Regards,

assuming MMscfd as million standard cubic feet per day and
presuming natural gas with a density of 0.75 Kg/M3 (at std. cond.)
10 MMscfd -> 10 * 1000000 MMscfd / 35.31 / 3600 -> SM3/s * 0.75 Kg/M3 -> 58.95 kg/s
58.95kg/s -> 58.95Kg/s / 33Kg/M3 -> 1.78 M3/s (at operating conditions)
internal area (6 inches) -> 0.017 M2
1.78 M3/s / 0.017M2
should be something about 100 M/s
(hoping there are not too much errors in my conversion...)
you can calculate the speed of sound with a process simulator or some free tool as for example then compare the values.

assuming MMscfd as million standard cubic feet per day and
presuming natural gas with a density of 0.75 Kg/M3 (at std. cond.)
10 MMscfd -> 10 * 1000000 MMscfd / 35.31 / 86400 -> SM3/s * 0.75 Kg/M3 -> 2.45 kg/s
2.45kg/s -> 2.45Kg/s / 33Kg/M3 -> 0.075 M3/s (at operating conditions)
internal area (6 inches) -> 0.017 M2
0.075 M3/s / 0.017M2
should be something about 5 M/s
(sorry, out of office and doing conversions by hand...)

Good Morning,

Thank you PaoloPemi for your explanation. I have another question why do we consider natural gas?

Thank you

Best Regards,

you haven't specified composition so I presumed a gas with a density (at standard conditions) of 0.75 Kg/M3, change this value if you have a different gas composition.

PaoloPemi ,

Thank you a lot for all your explanation. I get the composition of the gas and I calculated the velocity.

Merci again

Best Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back