Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Nozzle Weld Acceptable Types

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipingEquipment

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2009
US
I have a hillside nozzle in a shell (nearly tangential) and we are having trouble getting to the fillet weld on the inside of the shell/pipe junction because the pipe is so close to the shell. In UW16 I didn't see any type of weld that allows an inside penetration without having to weld the backside (the pipe to shell location on the inside), does anyone know of a weld type that allows this, or is this required by code? It looks like it is required but thought I would ask here if anyone knew of a way to do this without making that inside weld?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe an easier way to phrase my question; can you have a nozzle with internal projection that is full penetration and fillet on the outside, but omit the internal fillet?

Can't trim the nozzle flush because its an internal projection.
Yeah I want to do full penetration weld from outside only, design passes without repad or too much outside weld.
I just didn't see a design that allows for internal projection without some weld (43) on the backside, didn't know if those figures were the only acceptable types of through welds, or if those are there as examples of if you want to take advantage of the internal weld credit... mine passes without the internal credit if that is the case.

I do not see a problem leaving inside projection if full penetration is attained. You will have to calc. Strength of the welds. On the groove and outside fillets,' genblr.

You will need to make sure that local stress concentration will not result in cracking at the transition between the nozzle projection and the shell ID surface with no fillet. This is why the figures in UW-16 show a fillet weld on the ID surface where the nozzle projection to avoid a sharp transition, regardless of full penetration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back