Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NPD Process Toll gate approvals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming you have a list of requirements that need to be addressed at each gate, I would recommend putting them into some sort of speadsheet with a "status indicator" as to whether the requirement has been met, is in process, or has not been met/addressed. You can then put this into presentation software for the review meeting(s). You could have additional slide(s) if needed providing further details.

The indicator sheet may work well for you for both the product team and for reporting purposes to management.

Regards,

We have two documents at every gate - a project file audit and a gate approval form. The first is a checklist that shows if the required docs to pass that gate (e.g. previous gate approval, signed-off design requirements, patent review form, etc...) are present, not present, or not applicable. The project manager initials these.

The second lists the requirements (e.g. concept agreed, patent review complete, mfr site decided, etc...) for advancing the project to the next phase with spaces for the decision makers (business unit, engineering, maybe operations) to sign.

These are standard lists depending on project level and gate number. We also have standard presentation formats for each gate that allows the project manager to present the required info to the team/ stakeholders.

I could see final approval being electronic but I'd have thought you'd want a get together for the PM to give a presentation on status etc and explain any 'orange' or 'red' areas & put forward justification/mitigation for why you should still go to next phase.

Out of our meetings a few actions will often come up, these will be addressed and then approval will be given.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Sometimes meetings actually are a good thing. For phase gate reviews, I believe them to be necessary. A lot of things can get captured in a meeting that would not necessarily come up in e-mail threads.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back