Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NPDES in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcoiris74

Civil/Environmental
Jul 29, 2002
GB
By any chance is anyone proficient with the EPA's guidelines for NPDES? I need to provide an erosion control plan for a 3 acre project site. I will include the usual silt fence around the property and tracking device at the entrance. However, we are going for a LEED certification, and need to provide extra protection for the site. I have an idea what I may need (turbidity barrier at existing outfall pipe into canal, temp. fencing around existing trees to remain, etc.) but have not been able to find where this is documented in the rules. Any direction in this is appreciated.

Gee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your local authority and FL Dept of Environment should point you in the right direction and certainly the FLDoE's website will give you a lot of help. If your project is located within an MS4 you will have to provide post-construction water quality measures in addition to construction EPSC measures. You will also need a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan to accompany your NPDES application, but FL's DoE should have an example.

Your appropriate EPSC measures will depend on the hydrology of the site, not the size of the site. If you have draws and off-site water you'll need more than just silt fence as it's powerless in concentrated flow.

Where in Florida is the project site? In some areas the State has regulated the NPDES down to the local authority. The NPDES is a boiler plate set of plans for turbid stormwater discharge. I don't see how LEED will dictate your storm water pollution prevention plan.

Under that permit, you will need to provide 3 things. the first is a Notice of Intent, the second is a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) and the last is a Notice of Termination. The SWPPP defines more than just Erosion and Sediment controls. Go to the EPA website or call your regional USACE office.

Regarding the LEED prerequisite, you need only cite (on the template) that you will comply with the NPDES 'General Permit" or LOCAL regualtions (whichever is more stringent). You don't need to provide anything further detail or information for the submittal. Ask the managing LEED AP for the project what's required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back