Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NPT/BSP/Flange or screwed fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

howearthmademe

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2010
GB
Hi,

Can anyone tell me why or a standard rule for picking the best fittings?

I explain, if someone can give me a general rule of thumb to pick the best fittings (BSP/NPT/Flanges)ranked say for hydraulic and for pneumatic applications and their limitations would be greatly appreciated?

thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Learn the specifications that apply to fittings that are used in your particular applications and design codes, then order the fittings to meet those specifications.

Let your acquaintances be many, but your advisors one in a thousand’ ... Book of Ecclesiasticus

British Standard Parallel and National Pipe thread Tapered are just threaded type connections. I would suggest you determine what country you’re going to use these connections in and see what is readily available. Trying to find BSP fittings in the states is difficult, as I suspect trying to get NPT fitting in the UK!
"IF" you dealing with a high pressure hydraulic system, I'd suggest looking at S.A.E. flanges ...IMHO!

It all depends what its going to be used for. Also if its an item you are making for a customer they might have specific requirements and/or standards that need meeting.

For many applications there are cut-off points for using screwed or flanged connections. For example, anything above a certain pressure/diameter may require flanged connections. Some components, particularly smaller components (eg 1/2" diameter), may not be available in anything but screwed connections.

You need to find a standard for your particular application, there is no general standard that will give you all the info you require.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back