Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NPT vs NPSM thread for conduit nut

edleit

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2004
US
This may seem somewhat obvious, but I am trying to confirm whether NPSM (straight mechanical pipe thread) conduit nuts are compatible with NPT (tapered pipe thread) cord grip (i.e., cable gland) bodies.

I have seen posts indicating that the NPSM fittings can be used with NPT fittings as long as a leak-free seal is not required. Since my intention is to provide a locking element for the cable gland, is this a valid application or are locknuts provided with NPT cable gland bodies actually a tapered thread? (seems unlikely given the limited thickness of a nut relative to the taper effect over that length).

Has anyone ever asked themselves this question?

Ed Leitkowski
CT, USA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never asked myself that question, but looking back on the times where I've had to install cable glands using those very narrow castellated conduit lock-nuts, I'm not sure that I could've noticed a difference if there was any. In a quick look at vendors for conduit lock-huts (using Google) I couldn't find any notations about tapered versus straight threads. Without some sort of industry standard explicitly stating that this is an issue, it would seem as if the anecdotal evidence indicates that it doesn't matter.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Back