Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NR13 Pressure Vessel Code 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDellmore

Mechanical
Mar 22, 2017
US
I have a question relating to the NR13 document in my hands which states under 13.2.1 that pressure vessels whose PV product is greater than 8, where P is the maximum operating pressure in kPa and V is in internal volume in m3. Further into the NR13 document, the document states that pressure vessels are classified in potential risk groups in terms of PV, where P is the maximum operating pressure in MPa and V is the volume in m3. My question for those of you whom have complied to NR13, is 13.2.1 discrepant and should actually read in MPa? OR are they meant to be two separate calculations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DDellmore,

Yes, two separate calculations:

1st: If NR-13 shall be applied to your vessel.
Item 13.2.1 b) P (kPa) x V (m³), if this product is greater than 8 (kPa.m³), so NR-13 shall be applied

2nd: What is the potencial risk group of your vessel?
to classify the vessel you need found the product P(MPa) x V(m³) and locates in the groups stated under 13.5.1.2 C)

Resume: First PV with kPa to apply NR-13 (or not). Second PV with MPa to classify the vessel in the potencial risk group

(NR-13 could use 0,008 MPa.m³, but SI recommends changing the prefix)

I hope I've helped

I was hopeful that another person would confirm to me that the two calculations are actually separate. So, yes, quite helpful, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back